Ex-Southampton football coach accused of abuse 'not vetted'
An ex-Southampton youth coach accused of abusing boys at the club in the 1980s was not police checked for his current coaching job, the BBC understands.
Bob Higgins, on the coaching staff with Fleet Town Football Club, was cleared of sexual abuse charges in 1992.
Fleet Town FC said that Mr Higgins was not police checked in 2012 as his role did not involve working with children.
The BBC has made attempts to contact Mr Higgins for comment.
In 1997, police and social services sent a joint letter to schools and youth groups warning them that "Mr Higgins poses a risk to children".
Fleet Town Football Club told the BBC that their welfare officer did not check Mr Higgins' criminal record at the time he joined the club as his role did not involve working with children.
Club chairman Steve Cantle said: "The club will co-operate fully with authorities, be it the FA, or police in any enquiries.
"But as of this time we've had no notification of any enquiries about anyone involved with this club."
Six former Southampton youth players have come forward with allegations about Mr Higgins. Hampshire police has confirmed it is investigating.
Former Southampton youth player Dean Radford, who alleges he was abused by Mr Higgins, told the BBC: "It's just unbelievable that he is allowed to carry on his life as normal, and that nothing has been put in place to make sure he is not allowed to work in football.
"The letter was sent out, but no one followed it up, to check that he wasn't still working with clubs.
"Everybody that works with clubs should be checked. Because if there is even 1% of doubt about someone, then they should not be allowed to be coaching".
According to the Football Association's policy, anyone working with children and young people in football must complete Enhanced CRC (Criminal Record Checks), formerly known as CRB (Criminal Records Bureau Check), with the Children's Barred List Check.
CRCs are not currently required where under 18s play within what the FA calls "open-age football".
An Enhanced CRC would have flagged up Mr Higgins' previous charges and the acquittal, plus the worries police and social services had expressed about him in 1997.
Fleet Town said it did not carry out such a check on Higgins because he did not have unsupervised access to young players.
Meanwhile, former footballers Andy Woodward, 43, Steve Walters and Chris Unsworth, both 44, have launched a support organisation - called the Offside Trust - to support players who are victims of abuse and their families.
The former players broke their silence last month to make claims of abuse in football, prompting several more to come forward.
A total of 350 people have come forward alleging they were victims and 55 football clubs are linked to allegations of abuse.
Some 18 police forces have announced investigations into claims of sexual abuse in football.
Earlier on Sunday, the FA head of equality and safeguarding Sue Ravenlaw told BBC Radio 5 live that the scale of the abuse allegations was the biggest challenge for the FA, alongside reassuring young people that football is safer today.
Pointing to the safeguarding regulations that have been put in place over the last 10-15 years, she said: "I would like to think the culture has changed."
However, she said the scale of the abuse allegations was a "massive wake-up call" for club owners and directors to do the right thing at every level.
She said: "I'd like to think that we're doing the right thing, and others will follow our lead. This is a time for transparency and openness and for us to get things right for children".
Add Commentall comments
Ariana Grande has expressed her sorrow at the deaths of 22 people in an...
File photo taken in 2014 shows Richard Breeden, a former chairman of the...
Rebecca Reeton with daughter Lillian at the Ariana Grande concert in...
Following the star's sad passing, actor Daniel Craig was quick to pay...
French police thwarted an imminent "terror attack" and arrested two...
Fox News Channel expects Bill O'Reilly back from his vacation on April...
UN court orders Pakistan not to execute Indian man sentenced to death for...