Report: Trump Berates Australian Leader Over Refugee Deal
President Donald Trump speaks on the phone with Prime Minister of Australia Malcolm Turnbull, with National Security Adviser Michael Flynn, center, and chief strategist Steve Bannon, right, in the Oval Office of the White House, Jan. 28, 2017, in Washington.
Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said Thursday he had spoken candidly and frankly with U.S. President Donald Trump, but would not confirm a Washington Post report that Trump had berated him over a refugee swap deal and cut the call short.
The Post report said Trump had described the call with the leader of Australia, one of the United States’ staunchest allies, as “the worst so far.”
It came less than a day after Washington had sewn confusion in Australia after saying it would apply “extreme vetting” as part of the resettlement deal.
Deal to resettle 1,250
The deal was agreed late last year between Australia, which has fought alongside U.S. troops in Afghanistan and Iraq, and the administration of former President Barack Obama.
As part of the deal, Washington agreed to resettle up to 1,250 asylum seekers held in offshore processing camps on Pacific islands in Papua New Guinea and Nauru. In return, Australia would resettle refugees from El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras.
Quoting unidentified senior U.S. officials briefed on the conversation, the Post reported that Trump had told Turnbull he had spoken to four other world leaders Saturday, including Russian president Vladimir Putin and Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto, but said theirs “was the worst call by far.”
The call had been scheduled to last an hour, but the Post said Trump cut it short after 25 minutes when Turnbull tried to turn to other subjects, such as Syria. It also said Trump described the plan as “the worst deal ever” and accused Australia of trying to export the “next Boston bombers.”
Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull comments on a deal with the United States accepting refugees from Australia at Parliament House in Canberra, Jan. 30, 2017.
Turnbull has no comment
Turnbull would not comment on the contents of the call other than to say he believed the resettlement deal remained in place.
“These conversations are conducted candidly, frankly, privately. If you see reports of them, I’m not going to add to them,” he told reporters in Melbourne.
The Washington Post report received almost blanket coverage in Australian media and was widely seen as embarrassing for Turnbull, whose conservative Liberal-National coalition has only a razor-thin majority after an inconclusive election last year.
“Mr. Turnbull needs to confirm or deny the accuracy of that report,” Labor opposition leader Bill Shorten told reporters in Perth.
The resettlement deal was thrown into confusion after Trump signed an executive order last week that suspended the U.S. refugee program and restricted entry to the United States for travelers from majority-Muslim countries such as Iran, Iraq and Syria.
Many of those being held in the Australian detention center, which have drawn harsh criticism from the United Nations and rights groups, have fled violence in countries such as Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran.
The Washington Post also quoted the official read-out after Saturday’s call, which emphasized “the enduring strength and closeness of the U.S.-Australia relationship that is critical for peace stability, and prosperity in the Asia-Pacific region and globally.”
It also said Trump had boasted to Turnbull about the size of his election victory.
Add Commentall comments
Bennett Burgida, center, jumps on the trampoline with his brothers Aidan,...
The star announced that she was in remission in April 2017, and on...
A monitoring group and a U.S.-backed radio station say a Tibetan Buddhist...
Authorities in China's far western Xinjiang region are offering rewards...
The world's most experienced spacewoman says she's thrilled to get an...