11 Kids Websites Parents Can Trust
Mobile apps and social-networking services have recently been found to be violating the Children's Online Privacy and Protection Act. The Federal Trade Commission announced a settlement with a game maker just last month.
Parents' growing concerns about their kids' online security have led to a profusion of new kid-centric sites. Sifting through all the sites out there to find the good and avoid the bad can be daunting, especially with new sites popping up all the time.
Should my kids play games online? Is there a safe place for them to explore the web? How secure are the sites that my kids are visiting? These are some of the questions parents have.
Below are eleven sites that cater to kids between the ages of 4 and 13 that are worth considering for a variety of reasons.
1. Togetherville.com: a social-networking site for children that is monitored by parents. (Disney, the parent company of ABC, owns Togetherville.com.)
2. Yoursphere.com: a social-networking site designed for kids to interact with kids in a comfortable zone
3. ePals.com: an educational community bringing together learners from all over the planet.
4. ClubPenguin.com: a virtual world site that promotes global consciousness, charitable giving and sharing.
5. Kids.NationalGeographic.com: an award-winning site with vast offerings that combine education and entertainment.
6. Askkids.com: a search engine just for children.
7. PBSkids.org: the online version of PBS station for children.
8. Nickjr.com: the online destination for fans of Nick Jr.
9. Girlscouts.org/forgirls: a branch of the Girl Scouts' main site that provides age-appropriate interactive material.
10. Disney.go.com: a game site from Disney (Disney is the parent company of ABC).
11. Zoeysroom.com: a website that helps girls learn about technology.
Of course, every child is different and not every site will work for every situation. Take the time to guide your kids through the web using this list as an easy starting point.
Read more about Hemanshu Nigam here.
Add Commentall comments
Diane was shocked that she won the Best Actress award at Cannes She later...
A shareholder group is seeking a settlement with RBS over claims they...
Preparing for our baby… I'm actually in a bit of a dilemma, my house...
College prepares students to be everything from accountants and teachers...
Fitch Ratings has downgraded its rating on Italy's long-term debt, citing...
It took her almost two weeks but Nicki Minaj finally responded to Remy Ma...