Judge gives extension to Trump lawyers in travel ban suit

A federal judge in Seattle on Friday granted a two-week extension to the Justice Department in a lawsuit alleging that President Donald Trump's immigration order is blocking efforts by legal residents to reunite with their children who are trapped in war-torn countries.

U.S. District Judge James Robart, who halted enforcement of Trump's immigration order nationwide in February in a separate case brought by the states of Washington and Minnesota, said in his order that the federal government could have more time before responding to plaintiff's efforts to have the case certified as a class-action lawsuit.

The Justice Department argued that Trump intends to rescind the order and replace it with a new, substantially revised executive order that may "influence the shape of the legal issues ... in ways relevant to the class certification question."

After being repeatedly postponed, a White House official said Thursday a replacement order now won't be unveiled until next week at the earliest.

Robart also said he understood the frustrations of the parents and Northwest Immigrant Rights Project, who filed the lawsuit, over Trump administration statements that seemingly contradict those made by federal government lawyers.

"The court understands Plaintiffs' frustrations concerning statements emanating from President Trump's administration that seemingly contradict representations of the federal government's lawyers in this and other litigation before the court," the order said.

Nevertheless, Robart said, the court will continue to rely on statements coming from the federal attorneys.

The lawsuit filed in Seattle's U.S. District Court in late January claims Trump's order barring people from seven predominantly Muslim countries from entering the U.S. is unconstitutional. It asked for a judge to intervene and stop the application of the part of the order that suspends visas to citizens of those seven countries.

Juweiya Abdiaziz Ali, one of the plaintiffs, is a U.S. citizen living in Seattle who started the process in August of bringing her son from Somalia. But Trump's order has her worried that her son's visa process will be indefinitely suspended, she said.

Like thousands of others, those named in the lawsuit pursued the immigrant visa process that includes hundreds of dollars in filing fees, security screenings, medical examinations and interviews, Matt Adams, the group's legal director said previously.

The Trump administration has defended the order, saying more restrictions are needed to protect the U.S. from future terrorist attacks.

The new deadline for federal government attorneys to respond to the motion is March 20.



Add Comment

all comments

  Other news

more
Bill Gates reduces Microsoft stake with $4.6bn donation

Bill Gates reduces Microsoft stake with $4.6bn donation..

16-Aug, 03:40

Bill Gates has given away $4.6bn (?3.6bn) to charity in his largest...

Bath murder: Two charged after death of Tashan Corpe

Bath murder: Two charged after death of Tashan Corpe..

16-Aug, 03:10

Two people have been charged after a man was stabbed to death in his...

Love Island’s Olivia Attwood 'fakes' cosy night in with boyfriend Chris Hughes and plastic doll Cash Hughes?

Love Island’s Olivia Attwood 'fakes' cosy night in with boyfriend Chris Hughes and plastic..

16-Aug, 10:00

The pair are both clad in onesies, with Olivia hinting that they were...

Cartoonist illustrates Trump tweets, book hits Amazon top 10

Cartoonist illustrates Trump tweets, book hits Amazon top 10..

15-Aug, 22:30

A cartoonist hoping to provide a better understanding of “the mind we...

Saudi Arabia and UAE pledge $100M to women's fund Ivanka Trump supports

Saudi Arabia and UAE pledge $100M to women's fund Ivanka Trump supports..

22-May, 18:56

Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have pledged to give a total of...

Romanian court rules release of woman wanted in Turkey

Romanian court rules release of woman wanted in Turkey..

25-Jul, 05:40

Romania's Supreme Court has upheld a decision to release from custody a...

'This is a democracy': Int'l court may be next for Duterte

'This is a democracy': Int'l court may be next for Duterte..

16-May, 01:39

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte acknowledged Tuesday that...

Dutch to try suspects in Malaysia flight downed in Ukraine

Dutch to try suspects in Malaysia flight downed in Ukraine..

05-Jul, 04:24

The Dutch government says any suspects in the downing of Malaysia...