Trump's Budget Invests In Private Schools, Cuts Programs For Public Schools
President Donald Trump, joined by Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R), Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, daughter Ivanka Trump and granddaughter Arabella Kushner, visits Saint Andrew Catholic School and Principal Latrina Peters-Gipson in Orlando, Florida, on March 3, 2017.
portability,” which means states and districts would allow Title I funding to follow a student if the student switches schools. The idea was heavily debated during the creation of the new federal education law, the Every Student Succeeds Act, and was defeated at that time. Democrats argued that portability would ultimately strip schools serving high concentrations of poor students of necessary funding and could pave the way for private school vouchers.
On the higher education front, the budget continues to fund Pell Grants, which help poor students go to college, at the current level, but proposes a “cancellation of $3.9 billion from unobligated carryover funding,” which would do away with surplus funding from before. The budget also slashes other, separate programs designed to help low-income students afford college.
While the proposal does not touch programs supporting special education students, public education advocates are already decrying the impact this budget could have on schools.
“Cuts to financial aid programs, including draconian cuts to the Pell Grant program, abandoning teacher support and development programs, and an ill-advised (and previously rejected) scheme to divert resources from our highest need schools would move our country backward,” said John King, CEO of The Education Trust and President Barack Obama’s former secretary of education, in a statement.
“If this proposal were enacted, all students, particularly students of color and low-income students, throughout the entire continuum of our education system would suffer, as would the nation’s businesses who desperately need a skilled workforce to be successful,” King added.
The president of the nation’s largest teacher’s union - the National Education Association’s Lily Eskelsen Garc?a - called the proposal “reckless and wrong.”
“Sadly, the Donald Trump and Betsy DeVos scheme to take taxpayer dollars from public schools to fund private school vouchers is misguided and would harm our students,” Eskelsen Garc?a said in a statement. “Vouchers do not work, they undermine accountability to parents and taxpayers, and they have failed to provide opportunity to all of our students.”
On the flip side, the National Alliance for Public Charter Schools applauded the president’s dedication to school choice.
“This funding will allow more high-quality charter schools to open, expand, and replicate - and will help finance facilities for charter schools - so that more students have access to the great education they deserve,” said Nina Rees, the president and CEO of the National Alliance for Public Charter Schools, in a statement.
Other charter school groups had more reservations about the new budget, however. The National Association of Charter School Authorizers said in a statement that while it appreciates the support for charter schools, it is also concerned about other cuts. “Charter schools are part of—not a substitute for—a strong public education system,” the association’s statement read.
Suggest a correction
Rebecca Klein [url=http://twitter.com/rklein90]
Education Editor, The Huffington Post
Add Commentall comments
And now, the Irish model has heavily hinted he is back with the former...
The US Drug Enforcement Administration seized $3.2 billion in cash over a...
Kristina Rihanoff welcomed her daughter Mila last June On Mother's Day...
It's been 16 years since Audra McDonald had a baby. Now at age 46, the...
A military court today sentenced Elor Azaria, the Israeli combat medic...